I read on the Sky News website today that positive thinking is the way to beat Blue Monday today, but from what I’ve been hearing and reading all day, I cannot seem to find anything remotely positive in anything at all. I thought I’d write it all down for you to perhaps tell me if I’m missing something positive here and you could then point it out to me and get me through Blue Monday – (without a costly psychiatrists bill and a lot of anti-depressant drugs!)
This is a list of what I have heard or read just today;
1. Lucy Kibaki slapped Imanyara (the PNU guy who was up for election as the deputy speaker of Parliament and conceded to his ODM counterpart), as apparently he was one of Kibaki’s henchmen who is not agreeing to a deal that Kibaki wants to put forward to Raila suggesting they take two and a half years of the Presidential term each. (Not that I think Raila would go for it but anyway). Apparently Imanyara made the fatal mistake of slapping Lucy back and then got set upon by Kibaki’s bodyguards for his troubles and is currently residing in a Nairobi Hospital.
2. Kofi Annan hasn’t got ‘man-flu’ after all and has been rumoured to have a slightly dodgy ticker. Hence the may / may not arrive stories going around.
3. Raila is to file a case in the International Court in The Hague in which he will sue Kibaki’s government for ‘crimes against humanity’.
4. Raila, whilst addressing a crowd outside a church in Kibera yesterday, told the gathering that they should not be killing their neighbours and destroying each others property when they all had so little to their names anyhow. Instead they should take their anger out on the wealthy Kenyans living in Karen and Runda and burn their houses down, as according to him, they are the cause of all this mess. (I'm assuming by this he's meaning the Kikuyu big wigs who are known to live in the area? - Who really knows?)
5. Noah Wekesa, the Minister for Science and Technology and the MP elect in the Salama Province in Western Kenya has threatened to resign from his position in the cabinet if the government cannot stop the violence in his home area. Latest reports on the radio confirm at least 5 people have been killed so far today, and rumour has it that that number is more than likely to be far more.
6. Raila has called for a mass demonstration countrywide on Thursday this week. Now the PNU supporters are saying that if this demonstration goes ahead they will conduct their own rally protesting against the ODM supporters. (I do fear if this is really true and these rallies go ahead there will be total carnage and the police will not be able to stop it.)
SO there you go, end of the list of rumours for the day. Please note that I have not verified any of them although some I have read in the press, some were heard on the radio and some were through word of mouth.
Thing is, they’re all incredibly depressing and if there is even the slightest inkling of truth in even one of these rumours I can’t see any positive coming out of this entire week never mind trying to get over Blue Monday.
Excuse me whilst I go outside and scream really, really loud!!